Church of the Cross United Methodist Church was originally planted as a mission church of the former Broadway Methodist Church on April 19th, 1959, when a caravan of vehicles, and around 100 people, left the parking lot of Broadway in Toledo's Old South End and drove to the Glendale School, which was located across the street from our present church, and began meeting in the school building. The church met in Glendale School until 1968, and was originally known as the Glendale extension of the Broadway Methodist Church.
We still have a number of charter members who made that trip who are a part of the church family. Several years ago we celebrated the 50th anniversary of the Church, and we give God thanks for those pioneers and visionaries who laid the groundwork for Church of the Cross to legally come into existence on June 1st, 1962. The first worship service in the original section of the building occurred in early 1968. Major building additions were also completed in both 1985 and 2001-2002.
We look forward to the next 50 years, believing that God will continue to bless our efforts to positively impact our community for Jesus Christ. We would invite you to come and see for yourself the great things that are happening here at Church of the Cross.